Tuesday 5 February 2013

Revisiting

There is a photo of me in Grade 10 with a girl whom I had liked off and on since elementary school. She's lying on her stomach on the grass, resting her elbows on a blue duffle bag. I'm sitting beside her, leaning up against the side of her back. My left arm is bridged over her body. There are three other people occupying the frame of the photo. The girl I like, her eyes are closed, and I think she's squinting at the sun. Our closeness is forced. I think I knew that then. But now I know her eyes weren't closed because of the sun. She just didn't want to be there. Her smile is an uncomfortable one, the kind people make when they have nothing to say. Shortly after that photo was taken she left for the summer and her and I never worked out. I can see the end in the photo now.

It's interesting to look back at photographs to see what you missed or misinterpreted. The image never changes, but how you see the image can.

No comments:

Post a Comment