Wednesday 9 January 2013

Sparrows

     For a second they formed an archway over the highway. A flock of sparrows. Each day I drove by the birds emerged from a field of sunflowers on the right of the road. They would greet the sky together, suspended at their apex for a time so short it couldn't be counted, only to drop down between the thick stems and become hidden. Rising and falling as breaths. A living parabola. Light and graceful like leaves thrown up in a gust.
     I took comfort in their reliability. I knew that the sparrows likely made the short journey across the highway several times a day. That didn't matter; they were there whenever I drove past. I looked for them every time, watching the unfettered beauty of their movements for the second that my car drove past, and looking forward the day when I'd drive by next.

No comments:

Post a Comment